Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Soccer Mom (Almost)

I was bound and determined to sign Avery up for soccer this spring. I couldn't wait to get out there with my chair and cheer on my kid! I was made to be a soccer mom or any kind of sports mom. A few months ago, I called One Goal sports to sign up Avery.  It was going to be perfect because I was going to get him on a team with some of his friends and "us moms" were going to cheer our kids on together! Right….wrong! Avery missed the cut off to play by 5 days. He had to be 3…. F-I-V-E days earlier. I tried everything I could do to sign him up. I even told them we would skip the first game, but of course, NOPE! He couldn't play. I was bummed. However, one day when I was leaving the neighborhood I saw a sign for Soccer Shots. It was for ages 2 and up! Score! I went home and researched them and gave them a call. Within an hour, I had Avery signed up and ready for his first soccer experience!! Whoop-whoop! Skip ahead a few weeks and we were ready for our first class. With Soccer Shots, they  don't play actually games but just learn skills and the basics. Each week they also work on a character trait to go along with sportsmanship as well. John's aunt and uncle were in town for the first class and came with us. Good ole soccer mom (and dad) forget chairs for everyone to sit in while we watched the game. It was a hot day and I had him in his jersey with a thermal shirt  and long pants to keep him warm. He came up to me and let me know he was sweating! Good thing I could at least take off the thermal shirt. 

Pictures from his first class are below. The beautiful yellow flower was one that he picked for me while he was playing! Gotta love a kid that knows how to focus on the game and take it serious.

 Avery on his first day! He got his jersey this day. He was so excited to go and play.


Each week we all learned new things! Avery learned lots of new soccer skills and his mom and dad did a good job remembering chairs, blankets, water bottles, sunglasses and everything else we needed to be the best soccer mom and dad we could! We enjoyed watching him learn more about the sport and watch the kids "play a game" at the end of each class. The last day he played I was screaming, "Get the ball and kick it, Avery." He turned and looked at me and gave me a mom your embarrassing me look already! I thought I had several years before I would embarrass him! 

John's brothers, aunt and uncle came and watched him. Nay Nay and BeBe also came. Most days after class we had lunch at our favorite restaurant, The Boulevard. We really enjoyed our Saturday morning tradition!

His last day of class (we had to end it early because we will be at the beach the last 2 classes) NayNay came with us. Dada was out of town for work. 

Here are some action shots of our little soccer player!



"Soccer Mom" with her boys!

Nay Nay was a big fan of her boy! I love how they are holding hands in this picture!

Here he is with his medal! 

I would say our first sporting experience was a success! We look forward to many, many more Soccer Saturdays and other sporting events over the years! Being a Soccer Mom sure is fun! 

No comments:

Post a Comment